http://www.alarabiya.net (English version)
This website is clearly identified. This is the website of Al Arabiya, the famous news channel. Only this link is already a first form of credibility. The informations presented are really news. These are basic informations clearly identified. And information sources are in majority major news agencies (AFP, Reuters ,...). So credibility can be retained.
http://www.minnpost.com/
Under an « about us » introduction, MinnPost is presented as a « nonprofit journalism enterprise ». It encourages « broad-ranging, civil discussion from many points of view. » The goal is « is to create a sustainable business model for this kind of journalism, supported by corporate sponsors, advertisers, and members who make annual donations ».
The objectives of this website are clearly presented. Almost all articles / editorials are also accompanied by a picture and a presentation of the author. The different sources are identified. So for me, this site is credible.
CBN News
Some informations seem reliable. In the Politics section, the visit of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to NATO headquarters in Brussels is for example mentioned, and information is sourced as an AP dispatch. Another example is the evocation of a study on the link between cancer and cell phone (Health & Science). The source is mentioned: USA Today, a well know newspaper.
But some informations are also sourced directly « CBN News », especially for religious subjects (eg Christian Faith Teen to Talk with Muslim parents, Ahmadinejad's 'Divine' Mission, Coptic Priest fearlessly Spreading God's Word ,...).
Before visiting this site, I had never heard of CBN News. I also note that the site CBN News is integrated into a broader CBN website. The website tells me that CBN - Christian Broadcasting Network - is actually a network created by Pat Robertson.
After some research on other website, I learn that Pat Robertson is a televangelist and a U.S. politician. Not living the USA., I never had the opportunity to see these shows on TV.
In addition, some Roberston's positions would be contreversial. Even on the « CBN News « section of the website, advertising is very present. By clicking on an ad, the reader is directed to an online shop where he can buy christian jewelry.
Taking into account all aspects - except for some information ssourced from news agencies or newspapers - I think it's important to be more criticism with a website like this. Personally, I also would tend not to consult this website to be informed without much bias.

You raise some valid points but I think you also have to consider who is funding these sites and how they decide which news stories to run on their site? That is also part of censorship and freedom...
ReplyDelete@Ruth : Do you refer to journalistic and editorial choices ?
ReplyDeleteI discovered CBN by accident here in the US when I was channel-surfing on TV. I didn't know what the acronym stood for (Christian) and it is presented much like "real" news so I was shocked when I heard some of the commentary. Pat Robertson is very right wing and this is designed for a very specific audience...
ReplyDelete